Jacob Roberts | Resume
“For today’s multi-platform world, Jacob’s diverse set of skills makes him the Swiss Army Knife of creative and strategy.”
— Principal, Beacon Media
Creative Strategic Visual Storyteller
Visual communications strategist, enhancing brands with graphic and web design, illustration, photo editing, and motion graphics. Eight-year progressive career of creating logos, promotional material, editorial content, layout, and color schemes for quick-turn goals and long-term campaigns.
Develops message framing around brand strengths. Thrives on problem solving and creative collaboration. Informs process with research. Creates content to drive audience engagement.
The One You Feed Podcast | Los Angeles, CA (remote)
Advised Founder and communications consultants on brand direction. Designed collateral and edited copy for collateral used to influence potential sponsors.
- Researched and analyzed listener responses to podcast; wrote key documents to develop brand and guide audience growth strategy.
- Created informational flier to help podcast gain sponsorships. Edited copy, organized visual elements, set typography, and generated flexible template so the podcast team could make minor adjustments quickly while maintaining visual appeal.
- Advised Founder/Host on WordPress site function and design improvements.
Mark G. Anderson Consultants, Inc. (MGAC) | Los Angeles, CA
Hired to revamp MGAC’s on and offline communications materials, envision and motivate long-term plans, and infuse culture and processes with creativity and purpose. Partnered with leadership team, including C-suite, to translate vision into quality messagingand creative communications.
- Produced MGAC’s first publicly released brand video that prompted CEO’s enthusiastic praise and became a key communications piece on the firm website and LinkedIn career page.
- Branded staff profiles, sector books and other service portfolio documents.
- Updated design,typography, and layout.
- Revised language for accuracy and impact.
- Applied linguistic framing best practices, quality assurance in print materials, and developed a formalized, streamlined approach to creating new visual communications materials for clients.
- Unified corporate brand identity and united leadership around a clearly articulated business purpose.
- Developed MGAC’s first press outreach plan, covering long-term goals for courting the press, tracking successes, and focusing PR efforts while capturing metrics. Established trade press relationships and earned coverage for high-profile project in a national trade outlet.
- Created the firm’s first inter-office email news aggregate drawing from industry, national, regional, and trade news sources to inform business development, marketing, and project management of new trends and opportunities.
- Advised C-suite and senior staff on social networking and SEO strategy, providing insider tactics to clarify social media goals, devise a bespoke strategy and content development guidelines, and apply analytics to track progress. Audited current socialmedia status and provided insight that prevented a premature commitment to a social networking platform.
American Library Association (ALA) | Washington, DC
Advanced ALA’s online presence with a cohesive brand voice and aesthetic. Integrated contemporary design sensibilities into all platforms. Spearheaded branding, visual messaging, and social media strategy for the Association’s federal policy agenda.
- Redesigned all Washington websites and digital content.
- Created and trained colleagues on style guide.
- Bolstered credibility for the Association’s communications outlets for federal activity: Revised color palette, refreshed typography, implemented responsive design, and simplified navigation.
- Designed and implemented new email templates; trained colleagues on platform, and appearance.
- Created visual branding and communications with consensus among diverse stakeholders: Designed and illustrated promotional and editorial materials for trade outlets, national conferences, and messaging campaigns.
- Rejuvenated social networking presence with focused communications strategy and distinct visual branding.
- Expanded ALA’s advocacy communications reach by thousands of advocates: More than tripled email subscriptions; created and managed the office social media presence, attracting thousands of followers among Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Vimeo, and Google+ presences, which further increased after integration into ALA’s main channels.
- Earned Tumblr highlight and attracted over 8,000 followers in seven months with a $0 budget.
- Integrated contemporary research and theory to ALA’s federal advocacy message development and framing to connect with and mobilize the community.
- Advised colleagues and senior staff on methods for improving messaging and strategy.
- Wrote and edited blog posts, press releases, op-eds, and other materials to reinforce clear, engaging, concise, and compelling message to members and supporters.
- Championed an inclusive team approach to an integrated visual communications strategy: Created new visual branding and infographics; designed and illustrated promotional and editorial materials for top trade outlets, national conferences, and communications campaigns—all with input from and consensus among stakeholders in and outside the Association.
- Produced, filmed, directed, edited, and recorded advocacy and event videos that informed, persuaded, and inspired library champions in and outside the Association. Photographed and processed photos of events, often with federally elected representatives in attendance or as VIPs.
2009 – 2014
Murphy Putnam Media | Alexandria, VA
Created political ads for the 2009 Virginia Attorney General Elections that succinctly and clearly told the desired story beyond a cerebral level. Logged raw footage and delivered final cuts with animated graphics and polished sound.
Progressive Accountability Office | Washington, DC
Lead Candidate Tracker & Media Analyst
Filmed candidates and their spokespeople on the campaign trail for a joint venture with Media Matters for America and Center for American Progress. Identified, edited, transcribed, and disseminated key sound bites among partners and colleagues, frequentlyleading to significant influence over the news cycle. Streamlined footage storage and labeling.
- Contributed to a feature-length documentary produced by Paul Begala.
- Edited and filmed 70+ hours of footage.
- Filmed establishing shots and cutaways.
- Served as assistant editor.
- Assisted with lights and sound on interview shoots.
- Facilitated a successful film screening in the Northwest from DC.
- Created web videos, including rapid response messages: Completed and uploaded to YouTube a video pushing our message, featuring footage of the first presidentialdebate, before it had concluded.
- Trained colleagues on essential technologies and methods, including Final Cut Pro, EyeTV, Critical Mention, and Snapz. Taught team members how to infiltrate events, film, and record key events discretely and professionally.
2007 – 2008
Americans Against Escalation in Iraq | Reno & Las Vegas, NV
- Organized and oversaw 14 press events in five months, covered on BBC and major Nevada television news, Associated Press and in all major Nevada newspapers.Earned feature stories in two weekly publications. Organized and staffed a 46-hour vigil.
- Organized and executed a public meeting between community leaders and congressional chief of staff.
MA - Film & Digital Media
- Produced documentary short for thesis project with $12,000 budget.
- Fellow, Full Frame Documentary Film Festival 2012 & 2013.
- Volunteer, Media that Matters 2011 & 2012.
Boise State University
BA - English Literature
Technical Proficiencies & Core Competencies
- Adobe Creative Suite (Id, Ai, Ps, etc.)
- Typography & hand-lettering
- Logo design
- Promotional & editorial material
- Message framing & talking points
- Op-Eds, blogs, & narratives
- Crisis communications
- Press outreach & soundbites
Web Design & Communications
- HTML5 & CSS3
- WordPress, Drupal, cPanel, MAMP, Sitefinity, & Wix
- CQRC Engage